Hello, my name is Nathaniel Jackson; my nicknames are Nathan and Uncle Eli. I am known as a grandson to a late grandpa whom I wished was still around. In the presence of today, I am referred to as a son, a brother, a pet father, and an uncle. In my years of life, I have encountered and overcome numerous challenges that most do not contemplate. Today I am 34 years old and a lifelong resident of Topeka. For us locals that interprets me as a Topekan.
Present Day Life
As of April 2016, I am wrapping up my third semester as a sophomore student at Washburn University. My tenure as a student has shown me skills in which I never thought possible, and the ability to meet new people along the way. As a highlight of my time, I am serving as the board secretary of the Washburn Art Student Association; the unfortunate side this far is I have faced a challenge that has overtaken me to a point I dropped a course. Because of my disability and being in special education while at Shawnee Heights, I never had approached any form of algebra, and while knowing that algebra is a required course to walk with a Bachelor’s degree there was a hard decision made earlier this semester to drop the course. Over my next summer, I am going to take time and study workbooks I had picked up on the material I am aware of from my algebra courses to pass. If the material were too much for me, my plan would be to finish out my tenure until financial aid runs out learning as much as I can and building up my experience and portfolio. On the other hand, if I feel that I can manage the material, I will try again in Spring 2017. You can follow my vlog series “Nathaniel Jackson: The College Experience” on updates from throughout the semester.
My Disability & Lifestyle
In my early years of life, I had many diagnosis flags from developmentally delayed to ADHD. However, those flags went away towards my late childhood and early teenage years as I was “formally diagnosed” with ASD (shortened for Asperger’s Syndrome disorder.) In 2013, there was a ruling by a board of psychologists and psychiatrists that Asperger’s Syndrome should be formally combined to Autism and having this aliased as ASD. However, since I am considered “grandfathered” in the former term, I will stay with this. While it makes me have some mannerisms that make me look stupid, it does make me at times smarter than those without the theory. It has also hindered me from making friends in life, even with having a job I have found myself to be more detail oriented than working with speed which had made me lose jobs several times. Therefore, I choose to be on my own, and yes, that can be fine. If that is not enough, add to the mix that in middle school I learned that I was gay. While it took me another four years until I left high school before I announced it to my classmates. My family knew of this in middle school.
Before I applied and enrolled at Washburn University, I was a full-time SimWorld game guru which is my sister website on the network I manage. SimWorld is my community where I produce a legacy story series based off the popular The Sims 4. I have also host a YouTube exclusive series for SimWorld involving MineCraft, and Cities: Skylines. When I do find time away from the web network and studying, I am watching television series on Netflix or reading. For me, I have read so many different books from the Hardy Boys series by Frank Dixon to others. My more notable authors are Ted Bell, Dale Brown, Richard P. Evans, the late Vince Flynn, and Tom Clancy. There is also a new author I have started reading last year I have added to the mix. This is Brad Thor as he was recommended by Vince Flynn several times. I also had finished the Hunger Games series trilogy by Suzanne Collins, and the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer as well, just so you know I was on Team Jacob!
Being A Pet Father
Some humans consider animals just as that and never are emotionally attached. For me while I think my animals as family, like children. I am the pet father to my late daughter Belle Starr, an Australian Shepherd, who was put to rest over Spring Break 2015 for a spinal stroke. She originally was born on March 27th, 2001. My other kid is a Siamese cat – my son Hardy. Hardy was born on January 9th, 2002 however; Hardy and I never crossed paths until one weekend in July 2002 six months later.
I was volunteering for the Helping Hands Humane Society at West Ridge Mall. That day I noticed him [Hardy]; however, I was taking care of an excited dog, and sharing the dog with mall customers that day. Hardy who had not seen me, had about 6 or 7 applications filled out for him to be adopted but the process had to be finished at the shelter, which at the time was in North Topeka. That next day I went up to the shelter as I have been looking for a cat to stay with me at my place. I ran into the staff member who worked at the mall the day before. I asked who was adopted from the mall, none followed through. My first cat I looked at – which was friendly but I had turned it down had seven toes. No, I am NOT kidding! The next was Hardy, the one from the mall that previous day. At six months of age, we had to be separated a few days, as he had to have immunizations and the neutering. After having to give him medicine for a week or so, he became a healthy son. Moreover, I love both my kids and while it was painful to think still, Belle Starr is gone. I know she is being taken care of by my late aunt and grandpa. Belle Starr passed away just before her 14th birthday, Hardy is also 14 years old.
Nathaniel’s Quick Favorites
- Colors: Earth Tones & Blue
- Television Series: The Young and the Restless, Blue Bloods, 24, NCIS, NCIS: New Orleans, Big Bang Theory, The Fosters, Kickin’ It, Lab Rats, Prospectors, Highway Thru Hell, Queer As Folk, The Middle, Modern Family, Supergirl, The Family
- Food: Chicken Teriyaki, Cheeseburger, Sweet Potato & Russet Potato Fries, Tomato Basil Ramen, Macaroni Lemon & Cheese, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, Asparagus
- Drinks: Mountain Dew Kickstart, Coke Zero, Chocolate or Vanilla Protein Shakes
- Movies: E.T. the Extra Terrestrial (1982), Lassie (1994), Twister (1996), Flash (1997), Harry Potter (1997-2007), Twilight (2008-2012), The Hunger Games (2012-2015)
- Authors: Ted Bell, Dale Brown, Tom Clancy, Richard Paul Evans, Vince Flynn, Brad Thor
- Music: (Taken from my iTunes listing, not in any particular order) Stevie Brock, Tyler Hilton, Evan & Jaron, Hunter Hayes, Ryan Cabrera, Kris Allen, The Naked Brothers, Declan, Mitchel Musso, Corbin Bleu, Bon Jovi, Barenaked Ladies, Billy Gilman, Logan Mize, Alan Jackson, Hanson, EA Games, James Horner, John Williams, BBMak, Jesse McCartney, Westlife, David Archuleta, The Moffatts, Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees
- Sports Teams: Washburn University Ichabods, Kansas City Royals, Kansas City Chiefs, University of Kansas Jayhawks
- Season: Spring & Fall – I am fan for severe weather, and the time when temperatures are crisp, but warm nor humid.
- Family Members: Mom, Kids, Sister, Nephew, Brother-In-Law